I shall make this post at every start of the month, highlighting what I saw or have seen at the National Cinematheque that we have in Chile, the one that is at our government house, La Moneda. They have retrospectives and new releases, it’s always interesting to go and have a look each day, at least one thing of real interest will be playing, I can’t recommend it enough, they’re lovely and always a great time to be there.
This month I managed to see some films from the retrospective that they’re having right now, I’m going to explain all the “sections” that are available in the list of movies by the end of this post:
– 7ª Muestra de Cine Iberoamericano (7th Retrospective of Iberoamerican Cinema): Films from Spain and Latinamerica, either new productions or classics were presented here this month.
– Estreno (Premiere): Any section with the word ‘Estreno’ means that it’s a premiere, a new movie coming out in cinemas (or just in this particular screen) that could be called a premiere in Chile.
As always, you have the films that I saw, a translation if needed, the section in which they were programmed (look up for meanings of that), a rating and a review if available. Have a nice month everyone!
1. La vida útil (The Useful Life) (2010, Federico Vélroj) (7º Muestra de Cine Iberoamericano) ****1/2
2. Where the Condors Fly (2012, Carlos Klein) (Estreno Documental) ****1/2
3. Pena de muerte (Death Penalty) (2012, Tevo Díaz) (MIRADOC – Estreno Documental) ****1/2
4. Calafate, zoológicos humanos (Calafate, Human Zoos) (2010, Häns Mulchi) (MIRADOC – Estreno Documental) ****1/2
5. 74 m2 (2012, Tiziana Panizza, Paola Castillo) (MIRADOC – Estreno Documental) ****1/2
6. Woody Allen: A Documentary (2012, Robert B. Weide) (Estreno internacional de Cine Arte) ****1/2
7. Mi vida con Carlos (My Life with Carlos) (2010, Germán Berger) (Estreno Chileno Exclusivo) ****
8. Rosita: La Favorita del Tercer Reich (Rosita: The Favorite of the Third Reich) (2012, Pablo Berthelon) (Estreno Chileno) ***1/2